Switzerland has a leading and diverse fintech and insurtech market, including promising companies in the areas of online wealth management, personal finance, blockchain, mobile payments, crowdlending and -funding as well as insurtech. The market is predominantly represented by start-up companies but also by larger entities that already started their business a couple of years ago. The young businesses grow within and profit from a healthy and evolving ecosystem in one of the richest countries world-wide featuring a long tradition of global financial services. We currently see the following main M&A trends:
- An evolving regulatory framework may also result in higher costs of doing business for fintech companies, challenging their business model on a standalone basis.
- Shy but growing convergence of «traditional» financial services providers and fintech companies.
- Cooperations and occasional investments by «traditional» players into fintech businesses.
- Ongoing fundraisings or VC/PE investments in later stages.
- Occasional expansions into the neighbouring countries in order to expand into larger markets.